Onn soundbars are a great and economical addition to your home theater if you want to replace your TV speakers with a decent upgrade. It provides an immersive audio experience making the movie-watching experience worthwhile. However, sometimes, you may see your Onn soundbar malfunctioning.
You may encounter several problems with your Onn soundbar, and certain troubleshooting steps resolve each. Here’s a complete guide about troubleshooting your Onn soundbar for different technical problems.
General Troubleshooting Guideline
Although the Onn soundbar might go through different problems requiring different solutions, there are still some general troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the issue at the earliest.
Factory reset is the go-to solution for all electronic device problems. So, if your Onn soundbar is malfunctioning, you may try a factory reset to resolve the issue. Here are the steps to factory reset the Onn soundbar.
- Unplug the power cord and locate the power button of the soundbar.
- Press and hold the power button for about 15 seconds.
- Plug the power cord back into the power source while holding the power button.
- Hold the power button until the Soundbar’s lights start flashing.
- Now, release the power button and wait for the soundbar to reset.
You can also reset the soundbar by using the Onn soundbar remote. Here’s how you can do it.
- Locate the volume down and the Bluetooth button on your Onn Soundbar’s remote.
- Press and hold the volume down and Bluetooth button simultaneously until the Soundbar’s LED light starts flashing.
- Release the buttons and wait for the soundbar to reset.
You can also reset it with the help of a dedicated reset button, usually found at the back or bottom of the soundbar. Hold the reset button for 10 seconds, release it, and wait for the soundbar to reset.
Check all the Cables:
First, if your Onn soundbar is malfunctioning, not turning on, unable to connect with the source, or keeps turning off, you must check all its connected cables. Check if the power cable is properly plugged in and connected. Furthermore, you should also check all the connection cables for damages.
You may also check the power outlet to see if it’s functioning properly. Use a voltmeter or try to plug in other electronic devices to check the power outlet.
Another general troubleshooting step to fix your Onn soundbar is power cycling the soundbar and other connected devices if required. Here is how you can do the power cycling.
- Turn off the Onn soundbar and all the other connected devices.
- Plug out the power cables from the devices and the power outlet.
- Wait for about 30-40 seconds.
- Plug the devices back into the power outlet and turn them on to see if the issue is resolved.
It is a very effective strategy to fix the problems with your Onn soundbar. However, if you see that it didn’t work well to resolve the problem, you may try the last step of general troubleshooting.
Onn Soundbar Troubleshooting
Problem #1: Onn Soundbar not Turning On
One of the problems that you may encounter with your Onn soundbar is that it doesn’t turn on. Every time you turn on your Onn soundbar, it’ll light up the LED flashlights to indicate that the device is working and switched on successfully. However, “if you are unable to turn it on despite all your efforts, here’s what you can do.
- Check if the power cable is properly plugged into the power source.
- Ensure that the power outlet is properly functioning and not broken. You can do this by using an electricity tester.
- Check the Power cable for damages. A broken power cable will also halt the soundbar from turning on.
- Check that the power button is not broken or stuck. If the power button seems stuck, you may use a bobby or common pin to pull out the button.
- If you’re using a remote to turn on the Onn soundbar, ensure that there are no obstructions of obstacles between the remote and the soundbar for smooth operation.
Problem #2: No Audio
Another issue that you might face with your Onn soundbar is a lack of audio. This happens when your soundbar cannot produce audio because of faulty settings, wrong connections, or insufficient volume. Here’s how you can fix this problem.
- Check if the cables connecting the Onn soundbar to your TV are properly plugged in.
- Ensure the connection cables are not broken or damaged, which can halt the audio delivery.
- Check the soundbar’s volume or the streaming platform’s audio settings. Sometimes the audio is muted, or the volume is quite low, which causes this problem.
- Check if the audio settings of the TV are adjusted according to the type of connection. You can do this by visiting TV Settings> Audio/ Sound Settings> Audio Output.
- The next step is to select the output mode, where you must check that the External speakers or Soundbar is selected.
- Now, go to Audio Output mode, where you select the output mode according to your connection type. For HDMI ARC, you need to select the option saying HDMI ARC or ARC, and PCM for the audio format; for digital optical, you must select Optical.
- Finally, check the volume level of the streaming platform and the soundbar to fix the issue.
Problem #3: Not Connecting to Source
If you have connected your soundbar to the TV and do not hear anything even after making the connection, it means that your soundbar is not connecting to the source. Or if you’re trying to connect the soundbar to the TV via Bluetooth connection and it’s not connecting, here’s what you need to do.
- For wireless connectivity, ensure your soundbar is not connected to any other device and is in pairing mode.
- Disable all the other Bluetooth devices around the soundbar to avoid any interference.
- See if the connection cables are properly plugged in and not damaged or broken to halt the connectivity.
- You should also check and adjust the audio settings according to your connection type. For HDMI ARC, you need to select ARC in the audio output and enable HDMI CEC.
- For Digital optical, select Optical or digital optical from the choice.
Problem #4: Audio keeps Cutting Out
Sometimes, the Onn soundbar’s audio keeps cutting out, which can be really frustrating. However, you can fix this problem by following the given steps.
- Check audio cables for proper connectivity and damages.
- Check the TV audio settings according to the connection type.
- Check for software updates. Sometimes a long pending software update can also cause such problems
Problem #5: Audio-Video out of sync
If you’re facing a problem with audio-video synchronicity, it might be because of incorrect audio settings. However, sometimes, even with the correct audio settings, you may face this issue. So, here’s a quick fix for this problem.
- Power cycle both your TV and Onn Soundbar.
- Check the audio settings from your TV and adjust them according to the connection type.
Problem #6: Onn Soundbar Keeps Turning off
If your Onn soundbar keeps turning off without any evident reason, there could be a problem with the power button, or power cable, or the power-saving mode must be active, which shuts down or puts the soundbar to sleep.
Here’s what you need to do to fix this problem.
- Check the power cable for proper connectivity and damages.
- Check if the power button is stuck which is causing the soundbar to shut down automatically. You can fix the power button using a safety pin, bobby pin, or common pin.
- Finally, check if the power-saving feature is activated on your soundbar. The power-saving feature turns off the soundbar after 10-15 minutes of inactivity. So, if your soundbar is on and you’re not using it, the power saving mode will turn it off automatically after some time.
Problem #7: Onn Soundbar Blinking Red
Onn soundbar has an LED light indicator which turns on when the soundbar is completely turned on. However, if you see the LED indicator is blinking a red light, it’s a sign that your Onn soundbar is not getting enough power.
Here’s how you can fix this problem.
- While connecting your Onn soundbar to the TV use the same cable that comes with the Onn soundbar in the packaging. It provides enough power from the TV to the soundbar for proper functioning.
- Use the Onn Soundbar’s original adapter to connect it to the power source.
- Check if the power source is functioning properly.
Problem #8: Muffled Audio
Muffled audio in the Onn soundbar is caused for several reasons including a software bug, incorrect audio settings, loose audio cables, and lower volumes.
Here’s how you can fix these issues.
- Update the soundbar’s Firmware to get rid of all software bugs and install new updates.
- Check the audio settings and set them according to your Soundbar and TV’s connection type.
- If any audio connection cable is loose, it’ll result in muffled audio. So ensure that the audio cable is properly plugged in.
- Finally, check the volume setting and turn up the volume as lower volumes might be the reason behind muffled audio.
- Try using a different audio connection to fix the muffled audio problem. Sometimes the audio connection doesn’t support the audio format which you’re playing on the TV. It’s advised to choose an HDMI ARC connection if your TV and Onn soundbar both allow it.
Problem #9: Onn Soundbar Not Connecting to Phones via Bluetooth
Bluetooth connectivity is a convenient feature of Onn soundbars, allowing users to control the soundbar and stream audio from their phones. However, sometimes users might face issues connecting their phones to the soundbar via Bluetooth. Here’s how you can troubleshoot and resolve this issue.
Step 1: Ensure Bluetooth is Enabled on Both Devices
- Make sure that the Bluetooth feature is enabled on both your phone and the Onn soundbar. You can usually find the Bluetooth option in the settings menu of your phone and the soundbar.
Step 2: Check the Soundbar’s Availability
- Ensure that your Onn soundbar is visible to other devices. Some soundbars have an option to make them discoverable to other Bluetooth devices, check your soundbar’s manual if you are unsure how to do this.
Step 3: Remove Obstructions
- Ensure there are no obstructions between your phone and the soundbar. Bluetooth connections work best when there are no physical barriers between the connecting devices.
Step 4: Forget Previous Connections
- If your phone was previously connected to another Bluetooth device, go to the Bluetooth settings on your phone and select “Forget This Device” for any devices listed. This can often resolve connectivity issues.
Step 5: Reset Bluetooth on the Soundbar
- If you are still unable to connect, try resetting the Bluetooth settings on your Onn soundbar. Refer to your soundbar’s manual for instructions on how to do this.
Step 6: Update Software
- Ensure that the software on both your phone and the soundbar is up to date. Sometimes, outdated software can cause compatibility and connectivity issues.
Step 7: Contact Customer Support
- If you’ve tried all the above steps and are still unable to connect your phone to your Onn soundbar via Bluetooth, it might be time to contact Onn customer support for further assistance.
Common User Problems and Solutions for Onn Soundbar
Problem#1: No Sound from Onn Soundbar
- User Issue: Users have reported that they are unable to get any sound from the Onn Soundbar when connected to the TV, although Bluetooth connectivity works fine.
- Solution: Users are advised to set the TV’s sound settings to PCM and/or external speakers to resolve this issue.
Problem#2: Issues with Bluetooth Pairing
- User Issue: Some users have reported difficulties in pairing the Onn Soundbar with their TV via Bluetooth, even though the soundbar is discoverable by phones.
- Solution: It was noted that Onn TVs might not support Bluetooth connectivity, and users are recommended to use optical cables for connection. For those who prefer wireless connections, using the Private Listening feature on the Roku app on a phone to connect to the soundbar using Bluetooth was suggested, although this may have limitations.
Problem#3: Onn Soundbar Power Issues
- User Issue: Users have reported that the Onn Soundbar won’t stay on and immediately turns off after displaying the “welcome” message.
- Solution: Performing a factory reset of the soundbar by holding down the volume “+” and volume “-” buttons on the soundbar itself for 3+ seconds seemed to resolve the issue for some users. However, some users still reported problems, suggesting that this solution might not work for everyone.
Problem#4: Onn Soundbar Stuck on Welcome
- User Issue: Some users have reported that their Onn Soundbar gets stuck displaying “welcome” and won’t power on entirely.
- Solution: Unfortunately, there seems to be no clear resolution for this issue based on user discussions, and some users have opted to return their Onn Soundbar and purchase different brands due to this problem.
Problem#5: Onn Soundbar Volume Issues After Update
- User Issue: Users have reported experiencing problems with the volume after updating their Onn Soundbar.
- Solution: There is no clear solution provided in the threads, and users are advised to contact Onn customer support for assistance with this issue.
Problem#6: Onn Soundbar Not Connecting to Onn TV via Bluetooth
- User Issue: Users have reported that the Onn Soundbar won’t connect to Onn TV via Bluetooth, despite both devices having Bluetooth pairing modes.
- Solution: Users have suggested that the Bluetooth feature in the soundbar is likely intended for connecting to other wireless speakers or subs and not for connecting to the TV. It is recommended to use optical or HDMI ARC for connecting the soundbar to the TV.
Problem#7: Onn Soundbar with Muffled or Static Noise
- User Issue: Some users experience muffled sounds or static noise from their Onn Soundbar.
- Solution: Users are advised to increase the volume levels of their TV to 100% and then adjust the soundbar volume to match the TV audio. Trying another connection method, like an optical connection, is also recommended.
The malfunctioning of Onn soundbar or any other electronic equipment is quite normal. However, you need to read the signs that your Soundbar is showing and try to resolve the issue by following the correct troubleshooting steps.
Most of the time, you don’t even have to go through complex processes to fix the issue; simply power cycling or factory resetting can resolve the problem. However, if you feel that only these two won’t be enough, follow the troubleshooting steps in order to get your Onn soundbar back to work.
Finally, if your Onn soundbar doesn’t seem to work after all the troubleshooting and your efforts, you must contact customer support to help you resolve the problem.
I’m Shaun Conroy, an audiophile & founder of HiFi Audios. Holding a Bachelor’s in Sound Engineering, I bring deep expertise in audio devices and offer insights & recommendations to fellow enthusiasts.