Have you ever had your JBL speaker suddenly switch off while you were enjoying your music? It can be pretty frustrating—I remember one time during a picnic when my JBL speaker just decided to take a nap, leaving us without music. If this has happened to you too, you’re not alone. In this article, we’re going to figure out why your JBL speaker keeps turning off unexpectedly. I’ll share what I’ve learned from my own experiences, and together, we’ll explore simple steps to get your music playing smoothly again. Let’s begin our journey to uncover the solutions for those mysterious speaker shutdowns.
Quick Fixes for a JBL Speaker That Keeps Turning Off
Check the Power Outlet for Issues:
If your JBL speaker continues to turn off even if you have connected it to the power outlet with the charger, it might be because of the faulty power outlet. Use a voltmeter to check if the power outlet is working all right.
If you don’t have a voltmeter, you can also try charging other devices using the same power outlet to determine if the outlet is the issue.
Switch to a different outlet, recharge the speaker, and see if that resolves the issue.
Check the Charging Cable:
A damaged charging cable or adapter can interrupt the charging process, causing the JBL speaker to turn off. Replace the charging cable, and try to turn on the speaker to see if the problem is fixed.
Try Restarting the Speaker:
Restarting the speaker can also solve some minor problems. Press and hold the power button of your JBL speaker for a few seconds, and wait for the speaker to turn off. Let it rest for about 5 minutes.
Now, turn it on again and see if the problem is resolved.
Factory reset is the universal method to solve most of the problems related to your electronic devices. So, try to factory reset your JBL speaker to fix this issue. The factory reset method may vary depending on the model you’re using. So, refer to the user manual or JBL Customer Service to know the exact steps for factory resetting your speaker.
Here are some ways of resetting your JBL speaker.
JBL Flip Series
- Press and hold the Volume Up and Play/Pause buttons simultaneously for about 10 seconds. Wait for the speaker to turn off automatically and then turn back on.
JBL Charge Series
- Press and hold the Volume Up and Bluetooth buttons simultaneously for about 10 seconds.
JBL Xtreme Series
- Press and hold the Volume Up and Play/Pause buttons simultaneously for about 10 seconds.
Possible Reasons Why Your JBL Speaker Keeps Turning Off
If you’re through the preliminary fixes and can’t fix the problem, you might first want to know the reason behind this issue to fix it to the core.
Reason #1: Low Battery
Low charging is one of the reasons why your JBL Speaker keeps turning off. In this case, plug in the charger to charge the speaker. In some cases, the speaker may not charge because of a faulty power outlet or a damaged cable, as mentioned earlier. However, if the charging cable/ adapter and power source work fine, there might be a hardware/ circuit board issue.
- Replace the charging cable or the adapter with a new one.
- Check the power outlet to see if it’s working all right. You may use a voltmeter to test the voltage or try to charge another device through the same outlet to see if it’s working.
- Contact JBL Customer Service to resolve the problem or to request repairs if the warranty of the speaker hasn’t expired yet.
Reason #2: Firmware Issues
Sometimes, the JBL speaker faces different issues if there is a bug in the current firmware. Furthermore, if you are using an outdated version of the JBL firmware, your speaker may continue to turn off.
Update the firmware of the JBL speaker if you haven’t done it in a long time. Here’s how you can do it.
- Go to the JBL Official website and look for updates under the speaker model that you’re using. Download the updates to your computer or mobile device.
- Turn on your JBL speaker and connect it to the mobile device or computer using a USB cable.
- Open the file explorer on your computer and search for your speaker from the connected devices—Double-click on the speaker icon to open its storage.
- Now, copy the firmware updates file into the speaker’s storage. Now, eject the speaker from the computer.
- The speaker will automatically detect and install the firmware updates when turned on.
You can also use the JBL Connect app if your speaker is compatible.
- Download and open the JBL Connect App on your phone.
- Connect the speaker to the app via Bluetooth.
- Go to the settings in the app and look for available updates.
- Install the updates.
Reason #3: Stuck Power Button
Sometimes the JBL speaker would continue to turn off if the speaker’s power button is stuck. Check the power button of your speaker to see if it’s working all right.
You can easily fix this issue using a bobby pin to pull the power button out. However, if this isn’t working and the power button seems broken, you’ll have to take the speaker for a quick repair or call JBL customer service to send for repair if the warranty is still valid.
Reason #4: Auto-Off/Standby Mode Activated
Some JBL Speaker models continue to turn off because of the Auto-off/standby mode. This feature is designed to save power in JBL speakers; however, it can sometimes be a nuisance.
Turn off the power saving mode or Auto-off mode from the speakers’ settings. Here are general instructions to turn off this mode.
- Turn on your speaker and connect it to the companion app via Bluetooth.
- Navigate the app and find Settings.
- In Settings, look for Power Settings and locate the Auto-off or Standby feature.
- Disable or toggle off the Auto-off feature.
- Now, power off the speaker and turn it back on to see if the problem is fixed.
Reason #5: Overheating Issues
Overheating can damage and impact your JBL speaker in many ways. There are different reasons why your speaker may heat up; these could be using the speaker continuously for longer hours or placing the speaker under direct sun exposure, which can damage the battery.
The quick fix for this issue could be to turn it off and let your speaker rest for some time. Also, try to place it away from direct sun exposure or in a shady area.
Reason #6: Battery Issues
Using the JBL speaker for longer hours at high volume or while charging can stress the speaker’s battery, resulting in the depletion of the battery. A damaged or depleted battery might be why your speaker keeps turning off.
Replace the speaker batteries with new ones to fix this issue.
User opinions on troubleshooting a JBL speaker that randomly turns off:
In a discussion regarding the frustrating issue of a JBL speaker randomly turning off during music playback, several users shared their experiences and attempted solutions. While some struggled to find a resolution, others offered suggestions and possible fixes.
Here’s a summary of user opinions and solutions:
- Connection to Android vs. iPhone: One user suggested that connecting the speaker to an Android device worked fine, but issues arose when using an iPhone.
- Factory Resets and Alternative Resets: Another user shared a set of steps for factory resets and hard resets involving various button combinations. These steps included:
- Hard Reset: PlayPause + Vol.Up + Vol.Down (should simulate disconnecting the battery).
- Factory Settings Reset: PlayPause + Vol.Up for 2 seconds (erases history of paired devices).
- Storage in a Cool, Dry Place: One user recommended leaving the speaker in a cool, dry place for an extended period, which has reportedly helped revive unresponsive devices in some cases.
- Battery Replacement: Some users mentioned that a degraded battery might be causing the issue and suggested replacing it.
- Driver and Bluetooth Compatibility: One user speculated that the problem could be related to the Bluetooth adapter on a laptop and suggested that older adapters might not support Bluetooth Low Energy mode, which the JBL speaker might be trying to use.
- Volume-Related Disconnection: Several users noted that reducing the volume to a certain level (around 50-60%) helped prevent the speaker from turning off.
- Replacement or Warranty: Some users resorted to contacting JBL support or seeking replacement devices if their speakers were still under warranty.
- Alternative Brands: A user recommended considering other speaker brands, expressing frustration with the recurring issues.
If the JBL speaker continues to turn off, this is a sign that something has gone wrong with the hardware or software of the speaker. You may try to fix this issue by restarting the speaker or factory resetting it. However, to fix the problem properly, you must find the reason behind the issue and take the necessary steps.
Following the correct troubleshooting steps, you can easily fix any problem with the JBL speaker quickly.
I’m Shaun Conroy, an audiophile & founder of HiFi Audios. Holding a Bachelor’s in Sound Engineering, I bring deep expertise in audio devices and offer insights & recommendations to fellow enthusiasts.